Friday, July 15, 2011

She's A Good Girl

Striped Maxi Dress - H&M ($13)
Black Raffia Belt - Wet Seal ($2.50)
Black Lace-up Sandals - Material Girl, Macy's ($24)

Full disclosure: this is not really what I am wearing today. I'm cheating and plying you with an outfit I wore earlier this week. I can't believe it's already Friday. This week was a mad blur, but I had to make sure you guys got to see me wearing one of my most favorite clothing items. Don't let the fact that it's never made a blog appearance fool you - this dress is one of the champions of the closet. I bought this dress about six months ago and have already worn it at least a dozen times. Every time I go on vacation, it's in my suitcase. When I'm too lazy to think of an outfit, I wear this dress, and suddenly people think I am so stylish. Totally worth every penny.
And here's a little peek at my feet so you can check out my latest shoe purchase, I'd been searching for black sandals that were comfortable with a slight heel (as opposed to the towering black sandals I already own). These shoes are it. And, even better, I found them at a store I had a gift card for so they cost me nothing. If only all aspects of my life could work out so conveniently, right? But enough about my outfit, because today is Fashion-Beauty-Friend-Friday and this week's post centers on labels in the blogosphere. Thanks to Katy of Modly Chic for formulating questions on a particularly insightful topic!

1. As someone who write/blogs about fashion, have you placed yourself into some sort of blogging category?
I think I have. I like to think of myself as being in the "lifestyle" blogger category. Yes, my posts are very fashion-centric, but I also write about other things I love (i.e., music, movies, books) and my daily life. Really, I almost view my blog as a diary of sorts, chronicling whatever interesting bits take place in my day.

2. What keeps you from or encourages you to label yourself as a certain kind of blogger?
Well all of my favorite blogs seems to fall in that fashion/lifestyle mold. The best fashion blogs aren't about labels and runway shows and sponsors; they're about regular (but beautiful!) people who love clothes and use them to express their personalities and way of life. So if anything, I feel privileged to label myself the same way they might.

3. When picking blogs to read and follow are you drawn to ones that indicate a certain group or way of thinking/being?
I'm usually drawn to bloggers in a similar age bracket as me, and with similar clothing styles. I'm more likely to choose a blogger who prefers vintage or my ladylike ensembles than one who favors designer or more edgy looks. Also, interestingly enough, I tend to be drawn to bloggers who have an element of faith in their lives. I'm definitely not into "religion" bloggers, but I inevitably seem to discover that bloggers whose style and editorial voice I enjoy, tend to have a strong faith.

4. Do you think there are benefits in labeling yourself or others?
Not really. If anything, labels often lead to division. But it's unavoidable. It's human nature to want to label because it makes it easier to interpret and understand our world. So no point in fighting it!

5. Agree or Disagree - We're all just people; we don't need all the labels.
I agree, but think it's naive to actually believe it will happen.

And that's that! Can't remember the last time when I thought deeply about "labels," so this was a pretty interesting topic. Can't wait to read what the rest of you have to say.

"Free Falling (Live)" - John Mayer (but originally Tom Petty)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails