Monday, June 27, 2011

Just Greenery and Humid Air

Purple Cotton Tee - H&M (free via swap)
Purple Leather Belt - Vintage, South Street Thrift ($2?)
Striped Cotton Skirt - Vintage, South Street Thrift ($2?)
Purple Speckled Bangle - Long Beach Flea Market ($0.50)
Brown Wedge Sandals - Mossimo via Goodwill ($7)

It's finally summer as it should be here! High 70s, slight wind - basically perfect weather. Makes it being Monday that much easier, don't you think? Must be why I seem abnormally happy in this picture.

Funny story about the skirt I wore today: this is the first time I am wearing it, but I actually bought it over two months ago, when my fave thrift store was going out of business. I'm pretty sure I picked it up for less than $2, but it was a little too big. I gave it to my friend Q so she could take it in, but told her it wasn't really urgent since I knew she was super busy. Turns out I completely forgot about it because I was completely surprised when she gave it to me last Friday. It fits perfectly now, and though it's a bit matronly, I like it. The light cotton material is perfect for a easy breezy summer day.

Everyone have a good weekend? Mine was chock full of activity. Friday night I went to see my friend's daughter in a production of Annie. Very cute, but also very long. It's been ages since I've seen the show, so maybe I just forgot how long it was supposed to be. Saturday my mother and I had to attend a memorial service for an old family friend. It was a sad occasion, but at the same time it was nice to see a lot of people from childhood that I hadn't seen in ages.

Floral Print Sundress -Vintage, Long Beach Flea Market ($8)
Gold Flower Bracelet - Tilly's ($2)
Beige Cardigan (on purse) - Forever 21 (free via swap)
Beige Platform Sandals - Chinese Laundry, Fallas Paredes ($10)

It may seem a little weird, but this is actually what I wore to the memorial service on Saturday. Culturally speaking, I know most people wear black to funerals, but people of our faith don't really abide by those norms. We like to think of memorials as more a celebration of life than a dour, depressing occasion. So I actually actively try not to wear black whenever I go to funerals, but only if I'm certain it won't offend the family.

Whatever the case, I absolutely love this dress. I bought it in May, but only wore it for the first time a few weeks ago for a convention I had to attend. It's just so cheery that I can't help but feel good when I wear it. What about you guys: what clothing items make you feel good? Let me know in the comments!

"Summer Skin" - Death Cab for Cutie

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails