Thursday, June 23, 2011

If This Ain't Love, Then What Is


So last night I went to a Rooney concert at the House of Blues in Anaheim. I was taking my friend's niece to her first concert, and I'll label it a success! There were two opening bands - Maniac and Voxhaul Broadcast. I've never heard of Maniac, but they were pretty great. I am notoriously hard on opening bands (especially unexpected ones), but their songs were catchy and dance-able and the band's two lead singers were ridiculously charming. Even if they sort of reminded of pirates. Or maybe because they reminded me of pirates!

After Maniac, were Voxhaul Broadcast. Now, I really did want to like this band. I mean, they're from Orange County, CA (almost my backyard) and they're at the top of all the up-and-coming indie band lists. But they just did not cut it last night. Especially after I liked Maniac so much, VB came off as a bit boring and even a little cliche. The lead singer rarely smiled and did all this melodramatic wailing that made it seem like he was trying just a smidgen too hard. They could have just been having an off night, so I'll cut them some slack, but I wasn't feeling it.

Finally Rooney came out, and it was almost everything I could have hoped for. The last time I saw them was a few years ago when their second album came out, so I was long overdue for my Rooney fix. They played a nice mix of old and new songs, and even though they didn't play my personal favorite ("Daisy Duke") I forgave them because it was just such a pleasant concert experience. The crowd wasn't insane and/or violent and the music was great so I got to enjoy it without worrying about getting kicked in the face by crowd surfers. What more could I ask for?
Black Plaid Scarf - Free via Swap
White V-neck Tee - Nollie, PacSun ($3)
Indigo Skinny Jeans - Old Navy ($7)
Metallic Silver Toms Cordones - Toms Warehouse Sale ($25!)

And what did I wear? The most comfortable thing could find at the moment. Don't be underwhelmed by my scarf-white tee-jeans combo. It's pretty much my weekend uniform, and for a concert where I spent four hours standing, it was just perfect. Besides, my awesome metallic Toms do take it up notch, right? While I ridiculed the Toms bandwagon before, ever since I picked up these cordones a few months ago at their warehouse sale, I've been in shoe love! I wear them almost everyday. Anybody else ever have to eat your words on a trend/brand you once mocked but now love? Let me know in the comments!

"He Won't Go" - Adele

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails