Thursday, April 14, 2011

Within His Dreams He Sees The Life He's Made

I've had a crisis induced blog absence: my camera has pretty much given up. The lens doesn't focus anymore, and while I intend to get it fixed, there has been absolutely no time this week. Thus, no outfit post for you. However, in lieu of an outfit post, I'm going the book review route.My last completed reading selection was One Day by David Nicholls. Simply put, I loved it. It was alternately hilarious and tragic, and Nicholls writes in a familiar and casual manner that makes all his books particularly easy and enjoyable reads. One Day centers on the unlikely relationship that develops between Dex and Emma, two college students (and polar opposites) who have a quasi-one night stand that turns into a strangely co-dependent friendship.

The gimmick of the novel is that each chapter chronicles one day in the life of Dex and Emma on the same date (July 15) exactly one year in the future. (Confused? The first chapter is about July 15, 1988; then the next is July 15, 1989; etc.) I know it sounds weird, but once you read it the structure works surprisingly well.


I am sucker for any Brit novelists, but Nicholls really knows how to write characters that are deeply flawed but still inexplicably endearing. I actually finished reading this book last week at work, and the ending was so touching that I almost burst into tears, Fortunately I was able to keep together as I didn't want to startle any of my students :)
Bottom line: I highly recommend this book. Also, it's soon to be in theaters as the film version - starring Jim Sturgess (Across the Universe) and Anne Hathaway in the lead roles - will be in theaters this July. Keep an eye out for that. Up next for me, as you can see from my sidebar, is the Steinbeck classic East of Eden. True story: East of Eden is the only Steinbeck work I have ever read. Not even Grapes of Wrath or Of Mice and Men. Crazy, right? While I could have chosen to read one of his novels I am not familiar with, I opted to re-read my old favorite. From the vivid imagery to the intricate storyline to the plentiful Biblical allusions, I have always loved East of Eden. In fact, the first time I read it I loved it so much that I refused to watch the film version since I was certain it couldn't possibly live up to the novel's awesomeness.
However, my co-workers have encouraged me to watch the classic James Dean film, so I'm thinking I'll finally do it once I finish the novel this time. When I told my co-workers I was re-reading East of Eden one mentioned that he never reads anything more than once. It was pretty weird to me since I've read all my most favorite books tons of times. What about you guys: do any of you have a favorite novel you've read over and over?

"Day and Night" - Kid Cudi

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails