Wednesday, April 20, 2011

This Is My Place For Unrulyness

I realize that it's already midweek, but I would be remiss if I did not do a little recap post on the Kid Cudi show I went to Monday night. Before I do that, however, I kind of feel like I need to explain my relationship with Kid Cudi and his music. In general, I'm pretty broad-minded when it comes to my music selection. I listen to a little bit of everything (as you might be able to tell from the varied concerts I attend).

However, when it comes to hip-hop, I am very choosy. I can't stand a lot of the popular hip-hop (or "ring-tone rap," as I call it) that is all about the club or getting wasted or "ho's" or whatever. It's all pretty useless and offensive to me. But I am a huge advocate of conscious hip-hop that relays some message about life or personal struggles or politics - basically something with a purpose. I wholeheartedly love artists like Common or Mos Def or Lupe Fiasco. Even Kanye West (despite his obvious craziness) walks the line of popular and conscious music.

When I first heard of Kid Cudi I hated him because he had a super popular, mildly offensive song called "Make 'Em Say." Though I knew nothing about him, I immediately wrote him off because when it comes to music I am pretty judgmental and a little snooty, if I'm being honest. Then, a couple months later I saw him performing "Pursuit of Happiness" on Saturday Night Live and completely fell in love. Do you know the song? It's pretty much the greatest. It made me go out and buy his album and became a true fan. His second album wasn't quite as enjoyable as the first one, but I still love him. Still, I don't know that I would have ever forked over the cash to see him live except that my friend R from San Diego desperately wanted to see him, so I said I'd go with her. By the time we decided we wanted to go the tickets were already sold out, but we managed to score some for a decent price on Craigslist.
While I knew from his albums that Kid Cudi did have a bit of fixation with drugs (I mean, he does have a song called "Marijuana" on his latest record), I was not prepared for what I encountered at the show. Pretty much everyone in the crowd was smoking pot for the WHOLE show. It was gross. My clothes and hair reeked of it once I got home. Discounting my annoyance with all the potheads surrounding me, Kid Cudi did put on an amazing show. He was gracious and friendly with the crowd, and performed almost every song I wanted to hear. Really, if it wasn't for my aversion to his fan base, I would see him again in a second. Sadly, I don't think his fan base will be changing anytime soon, so that will probably be the first and last time I see him life. But I guess I couldn't have known that without going.
K West Late Registration T-shirt - Touch The Sky Tour 2005
Red Knit Pencil Skirt - Forever 21 ($4)
Black Wedge Heels (not pictured) - Tilly's ($10)
Black Faux Leather Moto Jacket - Cotton On ($10)

Here is me looking haggard (but happy) at the end of the show. It was so packed and so hot and smoky that my back was pretty much dripping with sweat. I'm sure you all wanted to know that ;) And though my feet were cutoff in this pic, I was wearing these crazy 5" wedge heels at the show so I could tower over the majority of the crowd. They were comfortable at first, but I think standing in any pair of shoes would have hurt after 6 hours.

Have you guys ever been to a concert that disappointed you majorly in some way? Either by the venue or the crowd or the performance? Let me know in the comments!



"Maniac" - Kid Cudi

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails