Thursday, April 21, 2011

It's Not the Pale Moon that Excites Me

Time for another round of Fashion-Beauty-Friend-Friday questions! This week we're continuing with the theme of inspiration, but in a bit more superficial manner ;) Be sure to check out all the other awesome blogger responses over at Modly Chic.

1.
Which celebrity (celebrities) do you look to for fashion inspiration?
While I can’t say I draw a ton of inspiration from celebrity style, I have always admired the way Reese Witherspoon and Diane Kruger put their outfits together. Reese is a classic beauty and that always translates to her crisp, ladylike style. You’ll never see her in anything hyper-trendy. She sticks to classic cuts and elements that really make her style timeless, which is probably why you pretty much never see her on a “worst dressed” list. Diane Kruger, on the other hand, is much more daring and adventurous with her fashion choices, but she still does it in a ladylike manner. Nothing she wears is ever too revealing or risqué, yet she always seems to take it to the next level. That’s a skill I too wish to master.


2. When it comes to your own personal style, what inspires you?
I think what inspires me most are the fashion blogs I read. It’s crazy to see how regular people create beautiful outfits and combinations that are totally wearable in real life. Beyond that, I am huge fan of thrifting, flea markets and vintage, so a color or texture or motif can also inspire me. I love vintage silhouettes that I think are much more flattering for my body type, and the juxtaposition of combining an older vintage piece with something more modern like a band tee or ridiculous heels.


3. How do you hope to inspire your readers?
My main message I suppose is that you don’t have to spend a lot of money to look nice. The average fashion magazine may have beautiful pictures and outfits, but 99 percent of the time I’d never be able to afford one piece on the models. I doubt there is any piece of clothing in my closet I paid more than $20 for (not including shoes!), and yet I think I still manage to look put together and (relatively) stylish. That’s what I want my readers to learn: looking fashionable doesn’t have to mean incurring loads of debt. In fact, it’s even more satisfying when you know you look nice and you paid a little bit of money :)


4. Outside the realm of fashion who/what inspires you?
Definitely movies and television. A favorite of mine is the character Emma Pillsbury on Glee. She favors mild vintage silhouettes (pencil skirts, cardigans, brooches, bow-neck blouses), but in bold, bright hues that really make it modern. If I could dress like her everyday, I would. Speaking of bold colors, I also love the eye-catching color and shine that dominates the world of Bollywood film. I’m a Bollywood addict, so female leads in films like 3 Idiots and Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi all inspire me to wear jewel-toned hues that really complement darker skin so well.

5. And since Idol is ending… Which songs inspire you?
Well for me music is the be all and end all so pardon me if you think this list is a bit too much:
“Spaceship” – Kanye West (very inspirational an all about overcoming challenges)
“Ottoman” – Vampire Weekend (just simple and beautiful, essentially the aura I'd like to exude)
“Pretty Girl Rock” – Keri Hilson (cheesy but fun empowering girl anthem)
“Everyone Nose” – N*E*R*D* (no better song for getting ready for a night out)
“Go Go Gadget Flow” – Lupe Fiasco (bold, brash and a bit cocky, but in a totally lovable way)
“Dancehall Queen” - Robyn (all about dancing like nobody's watching)
“Mojo So Dope [Clean]” – Kid Cudi (appreciating yourself without worrying about anybody else) “Something Good Can Work” – Two Door Cinema Club ( a 3-minute party from start to finish)

And there you have it. A bit of insight into what inspires me on a daily basis. Can't wait to see what the rest of you out there have to share!

"The Nearness of You" - Norah Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails