Friday, March 4, 2011

Don't You Bring Me Down Today

Today I dressed sort of like an old lady. Argyle sweater. Off white oxfords that sort of resembled orthopedic shoes. Scratch that - maybe I dressed more like an old man today. Whatever the case, I'll spare you any photos, and instead I'll focus on today's Fashion/Beauty Friend Friday topic. This week's topic is all about beauty, and while I don't really have a ton to say, maybe it'll help you get to know me a bit better.

1. What's your favorite drug store makeup product and your favorite higher-end product?

Beauty products and I don’t have a particularly long history. In fact, I can honestly say that I probably have only being wearing real makeup for less than a year. Other than being fixated on clothes, I was never interested in makeup as child or teen, so I never had any real use for it. In the past year, I became really good friends with a girl who always is made up immaculately. She has a 2 year-old son, but she always is in heels and has her makeup done perfectly. She inspired me to try a bit more in my day-to-day life, which brings me to my current status. I’ve kind of become obsessed with buying makeup (usually the cheap kind) and experimenting with different sorts of looks. While I might not wear most of it out (due to my line of work and personality), I am becoming a bit more dependent on some products.

So to answer the question (finally), my favorite drug store make-up product is Revlon Super Lustrous Crème Lipstick in Fleshtone. It’s creamy and the perfect nude shade to complement my skin without making me seem really “made up.” I swear by it and wear it most days.

I don’t really by any “higher end” products, so I can’t really answer that part. The most money I spend is probably on facial cleansers and foundation, but even then, I only get drugstore stuff that tops out around $10. I love Cetaphil oil-free facial wash and Noxema face wash. And finding foundation that actually matches my skin tone is a bit difficult, but recently I’ve grown attached to Covergirl Queen Collection liquid foundation in Warm Caramel. It blends seamlessly and doesn’t leave me looking like I am wearing a mask.

2. Is there one type of product that is your go-to, can't live without?

For sure! Hands down it would have to be Rosebud Salve. I have always (and will always) been addicted to lip balm and gloss. The day I discovered Rosebud Salve at Sephora, I knew I would never need another lip balm. It’s the perfect consistency, not too dry or too sticky. I use it at least half a dozen times a day and could never live without it. Kiehl's lip balm also is a close second to Rosebud Salve.

3. What's the best hair product you've ever used?

My hair (or really, African-American hair in general) is extremely thick and very temperamental. It doesn’t behave like the average person’s hair does. That being said thick and rich shampoo and conditioner is the key to making my hair reach its full potential. I am a huge fan of Dove Damage Therapy Shampoo and Conditioner. It really cleans and nourishes my hair and leaves it smelling great for a long time. I also depend heavily on Tresemme dry shampoo for normal/oily hair. After a workout (and lately I've been going 4 days a week!), if I can’t wash my hair, the dry shampoo really absorbs all the oil and helps me look half-way decent the next day. And this brand is pretty cheap at Target.

4. Fess up, what's the worst beauty look you've tried to rock and look back at now with a little shame or apprehension that you actually did that?


Like I said, I never really experimented with weird makeup or stuff like that when I was younger. I was very much an only lip gloss and mascara girl. Still, I have gone out with my hair looking less than stellar for a few school picture days. And I had some killer bushy eyebrows as a preteen (or maybe I still have them). I blame my mother for not taking me to get them waxed. It’s almost like she didn’t even care ;)

5. When it comes to beauty products, we all use the same basic products. What do you use that helps show off your personal flare and personality?

My typical makeup is pretty basic, so if anything, the one way I show a little flare in my day-to-day life is through nail polish.I don't focus on it much in my posts, but my nails are almost never the same. I'm kind of known in my circle of friends for wearing crazy nail polish and changing it at least once a week. I'll wear crazy bright colors, weird designs - pretty much anything goes. It's like my own little way of not conforming while still looking relatively normal for work ;)

"Beautiful" - Christina Aguilera

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails