Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Watch Him As He Goes

So I've got no outfit post today, but please humor as I go all fanboy (fangirl?) for a moment. I'm going to give you all a little insight into me as a person. When I say I am obsessed with comic book superheroes, I mean OBSESSED. Pretty much for as long as I can remember. Of course, the focal point of my obsession has always been Superman. I fell in love with Christopher Reeve in the cheesy 70s films as a small child (like 3 or 4 years old), and ever since then I've gobbled up every bit of the Superman mythology I could get my hands on, be it comic books, novels, movies or television incarnations (Yes, I am still watching Smallville to this day).

Heck, I have a Superman memorabilia coming out of my ears since everyone I know always buys me anything with the super logo emblazoned on it. Whatever the case, the only reason I'm writing this post is because I just purchased the latest copy of Entertainment Weekly and guess what's on the cover?!
Just so you know, I was so excited about this that I took this picture on my phone and sent out a mass text to all my friends so they could share my enthusiasm. Crazy, I know, but they understood. While I liked aspects of the last Superman movie (pro: Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor, con: Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane), it pretty much bombed at the box office, so I was not surprised to hear they'd be rebooting the franchise. I've known for a while that Henry Cavill would be the new Man of Steel, but swooned a little when I finally saw him on his first magazine cover.

Christopher Nolan (of Dark Knight and Inception fame) will be directing, and while I love how he brought new life to the Batman franchise I do have a few reservations. I get why the studios would choose him since everything he makes has been golden lately, but I hope he stays true to the essence of the Superman mythos. Everything Nolan has been most famous for has been extremely dark. While Batman is essentially a vigilante with a gigantic chip on his shoulder, Superman has always been essentially good. He's not dark or twisted and his natural inclination is to do what's right. I desperately hope Nolan doesn't re-imagine the Superman story to the point that he loses the innate goodness in favor of some sort of manufactured turmoil and conflict that diverges from the comics.

Ok, but enough obsessing on my part. As you can see, I clearly could analyze all of this for ages, but I'll spare you. Do any of you guys have any secret (or not so secret) obsessions that people are surprised to learn about? And are you even remotely excited about a new Superman?

"My Hero" - The Foo Fighters

2 comments:

  1. I hated Superman Returns, I wish he didn't return after seeing that fiasco. I liked Man of Steel though. I love your blog and outfit posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. itsrainingonmyfaceMay 13, 2014 at 2:04 PM

    Yeah, Man of Steel was a bit dark, but I liked it too! And thanks for the blog love :) I've kind of let it fall by the wayside, but if you have an IG I've started doing regular outfit posts on that lately. You can find me under @sunglasses_andadvil

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails