Monday, July 5, 2010

Did You Want To Be A Winner?

So today was the big day! I ran my first 5k bright and early this morning at 8:00 am. In all seriousness, I was pretty nervous when I woke up today. Even though I'd been training for the past six weeks, I was anxious about how intense the course would be and how lame I would seem compared to the other runners.

Really, all my worries were for naught. My friend J signed up for the race with me, so the two of us (and her husband) all went together. There were tons of people of all shapes and sizes, so I knew there was no way I'd have the worst time. Through all my training my goal has been doing the 3.2 miles in 35 minutes. My final time was 32:40! So I even exceeded my expectations. This is what I felt like doing after I crossed the finish line:
While I do worry about the physical effects of running regularly (my knees never hurt before I started training, but now they do!), I think I might stick with it. Just minutes after I finished this morning, another friend texted me and asked if I wanted to sign up for a HALF MARATHON with her in October! Crazy, right? I don't know if four months is enough time to make the transition from 3 miles to 13, but I'm thinking about it.

And for any of you non-runners like me considering a 5k, I strongly suggest wearing your iPod as you run. It was way motivational for me and helped me stick to good stride. I made a "5K Playlist" as soon as I started training. Here are the 10 songs that got me through today:

"Pursuit of Happiness" - Kid Cudi, MGMT & Ratatat
"Amazing" - Kanye West feat. Young Jeezy
"1901" - Phoenix
"Enough's Enough" - Jamie Lidell
"One Foot Boy" - Mika
"Golden Skans" - Klaxons
"Tell Me In The Morning" - Cold War Kids
"Surprise Gift" - Stereogum mash-up of Fool's Gold "Surprise Hotel" and N.A.S.A. "Gifted"
"Magic" - B.o.B. feat. Rivers Cuomo
"Saturday" - The Secret Handshake

There were 24 other songs in my playlist, but these were the ones that happened to play on shuffle today. While they're not all traditional workout songs, they kept me hyped!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your run and for doing it so well! If you sign up for the half marathon - good luck!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails