Saturday, January 30, 2010

Maybe I Need Some Rehab

So currently I am reading The Gospel According to Coco Chanel by Karen Karbo and loving it. I was pleasantly surprised by its mix of history, motivational advice and Chanel lore. Although it's more lifestyle guide than fashion guide, I have been inspired by it. As much as I love whatever is the newest trend, I've recently been trying to buy more classic pieces - items that I could potentially wear for the rest of my life without looking dated.

With that in mind, I hit up Goodwill Friday morning and came home with a few pieces that I feel are in keeping with my new shopping philosophy. Forgive me for the spotty mirror pics, but it was the best I could do at the time. And my head is cut off because I was not in anyway camera-ready from the neck up. Believe me, it was for the greater good.
This sundress was originally from Walmart. It's not exactly winter wear, but I can see me wearing it quite a bit come spring/summer. I'm a huge fan of empire waists and full skirts because they are always flattering on me. This fit perfectly.
So I knew I had to have this pink & purple sheath as soon as I saw it. I vaguely recall Jen from Jenloveskev wearing this same dress in a post a few weeks ago. It's originally from Target and fit great too. Sadly, it's a wee bit shorter than I like my dresses to be (I aim for nothing much higher than knee-length) so I will probably end up giving it to a friend.
Apologies for the blurriness. This is a vintage Koret Career sweater vest. While my photo isn't really doing it justice, the color is deep garnet, and I can't wait to work it into my wardrobe. It will be a nice alternative to my typical cardigan/blazer.
I have been looking for a knee-length shirtdress for a while now. I used to have a white one from Banana Republic, but I lost some weight and it got too big. This is a White Stag blue pinstriped shirtdress, and I especially like it because of the details - sash belt, pockets, button- cuff sleeves).
Now I realize this dress needs some work. When I showed it to my 12-year-old nephew he told me it made me look like an old lady. Agreed, but it has potential. I love the banded waist and pleated skirt. I'm thinking I'll either get the sleeves shortented or removed altogether. That should make it a bit less matronly. The real selling point for me, however, was the detailing at the back.
Buttons in the back are just always so dainty and ladylike to me. And this mustard yellow color is extremely flattering on my complexion. For $2, I will find a way for this dress to transition into something a bit more contemporary and wearable.
Though it's not coming across in my bootleg photo, this black sweater is pretty much the softest thing ever. It's 100% cashmere, so I know it's something I will be able to wear for many winters to come. The skirt I am wearing is also a Goodwill purchase, but from a couple weeks ago. It's a 100% leather pencil skirt originally from the Gap that I was able to get for just $6! I've been wanting a leather skirt for ages, but never dreamed I'd get such a nice one for so cheap.
I suppose this last item can be interpreted as an homage to Chanel. This vintage sweater was the first thing I spotted when I walked into Goodwill. It's soft and boxy with awesome engraved brass buttons. And even though I only paired it with my knit jersey strapless dress for the sake of this photo, I'm kind of liking the preppy/casual combo. Very modern lady-like.

So my grand Goodwill total was 7 items for $14, and they all pretty much seemed to work out. And that's good because I desperately need to start curbing my spending. If not to conserve money, at least to conserve closet space since I pretty much have none left. So here is my vow: no more shopping in February! My very own shopping intervention because I really need to save up for my New York trip in May. Here's hoping I have some willpower.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails